Job Title: Trainee Operations Manager
Reporting to: Managing Director
Position Type: Permanent/Full-time
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week (Mon-Thurs: 8am-5pm, Fridays: 8am-4.10pm)
Salary: Up to £28,000
Are you looking for an exciting new challenge where you can progress to a Management role?
If you are an ambitious graduate (or equivalent calibre) with a background in Operations, this could be the perfect opportunity for you to take that next step on a managerial career path.
In this role you will gain the knowledge and experience required for potential promotion to the position of Operations Manager. The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring the smooth and efficient function of all departments to deliver the highest quality products, deliver against strategic goals and ensure that we are meeting the expectations of our customers.
You will be offered excellent training and hands on experience in a variety of departments including Finance, Customer Support, Production, Purchasing, Sales, Marketing, Operations, HR, Quality and IT, enabling you to gain a full and comprehensive understanding of our business.
As well as gaining invaluable insight, understanding and experience in general business management, you will become an integral part of our management team, with the opportunity to progress to a leadership role and contribute to furthering the strategic aims and ambitions of our company.
The flexibility to travel locally and abroad is a must for this role, which will likely require trips to Florida, USA, sometimes at short notice, and the requirement to provide support to our Operations function in the US.
Purpose of Role:
- To gain knowledge and experience required for promotion to Operations Manager.
- To gain a full understanding of the business by training in a variety of departments throughout the business, including Finance, Customer Support, Production, Purchasing, Sales, Marketing, Operations, HR, Quality and IT.
- To works under the supervision of managers and executives in organisation.
- To gain knowledge to be able to oversee all Protective Packaging Ltd business functions to ensure they run smoothly and efficiently.
- To support the operational management of the business function in the USA. This will include frequent travel to our site in Orlando, Florida.
- To become an integral part of the management team and contribute to furthering the strategic aims and ambitions of the business.
- To acquire experience to be able to effectively manage team leaders, and support them in the day-to-day management of their teams, including managing performance, conduct, attendance, training etc.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To follow a hands-on training plan where you will work in each department to acquire a full understanding of each function of the business and build credibility by doing the job you will one day manage.
- Learn various line and staff functions, including operations, management viewpoints and company policies and practices affecting each area of business.
- Meet performance goals and objectives set by upper management and determined upon acceptance of position.
- Shadow experienced employees to acquire their knowledge, methods, procedures, and standards required.
- Lead or assist in special projects as set by upper management.
- Report on a predetermined basis on progress of goals and objectives.
- Monitor performance progress with management and trainers.
- Observe experienced workers to acquire knowledge of methods, procedures, and standards required for performance of departmental duties.
- Train in functions and operations of related departments to facilitate subsequent transferability between departments and provide greater promotional opportunities.
- Provide support as needed in the various departments, including reporting, data-entry, presentation creation, strategic planning, customer service as needed.
- To ensure effective communication and cooperation between departments for optimum efficiency.
- To fulfill other duties as reasonably required by a manager to support the functioning and smooth running of a department and the business.
- Attend site visits to suppliers in the UK and Europe.
- Any other ad hoc duties commensurate with the role.
- Graduate – evidence of higher learning (ideally Degree) or equivalent through work experience
- 3+ years’ experience in Operations
- Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
- A quick learner, motivated towards career growth within our business
- Excellent communicator with the ability to influence and interact effectively with a wide range of staff and customers
- Hands on approach to all tasks
- Proactive problem solver with ability to overcome challenges and present solutions to quickly resolve issues
- A Strategic thinker, staying ahead of the game and delivering plans to promote and further the aims and ambitions of the business
- Punctual, reliable and trustworthy with a strong sense of responsibility
- Able to multi-task and juggle competing priorities effectively in a fast paced environment
- Able to work under own initiative and as part of a team
- Strong written, analytical and presentation skills
- Resourceful, well organised with demonstrable leadership potential
- Flexibility to travel to USA and Europe
You also get:
- Both internal and external training deemed relevant to the role
- Quarterly Company lunch
- Long service awards and recognition
- Pension – access to a workplace pension with employer and employee contribution
- Early finish on a Friday
- Employee of the month, quarter and year awards
- Fresh fruit daily
- Special birthday recognition
- Health care plan options
- Free flu vaccinations
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee social committee