Aluminium Barrier Foils comprise of 3 or 4 layers of different materials, bonded together with adhesive or extrusion polyethylene. They derive their properties from a strong construction as outlined in the below diagram.
The Aluminium layer is an extremely important material in laminates and is used in a wide variety of industries to provide both Dried Product Protection and Corrosion Prevention. Barrier Foil protects the integrity of any application where deterioration of the packaged product may take place due to:
- Oxygen Ingress
- UV Light
- Temperature Extremes
- Mould & Fungi Growth
- Grease & Oils
Typical Construction of Aluminium Barrier Foil:
An indication of the performance of Aluminium Barrier Foil is provided by their Water Vapour Transmission Rate (W.V.T.R.) which at polyethylene, with a thickness of 125um, allows water vapour and aggressive gasses to diffuse at a rate of up to 4gms/m²/24hrs which is 80 times faster!
Within a heat-sealed Aluminium Barrier Foil Bag/Liner, a calculated amount of desiccant can be added to ensure that relative humidity (RH) remains well below 40% – the starting point for corrosion.
What are the benefits of using Barrier Foil?
- Eliminate Corrosion
- Protects Hydroscopic products from moisture ingress and damage.
- Atmospherically sensitive products are protected from the outside environment.
- Reduce Desiccant Usage and thus overall shipping weight
- Cut out preservation methods requiring cleaning
- Eliminate the need to re-dry products
- Eliminates odour transfer, into or out of the pack
- Reduces the need to invest in modified atmosphere storage
- Outer packaging cleanliness
- Suitable for Hot-fill applications
- European pharmacopoeia and FDA approvals
- Suitable for Anti-Static Applications
- Allows outer containers to be re-used
We have over 30 years of experience in the design, manufacture and supply of customised aluminium barrier foil bags and liners. Our Aluminium Barrier Foils are available in a wide range of specifications and can be manufactured to suit individual requirements.